Reciba las últimas noticias sobre temas interesantes con NewsHub. Instalar ahora.

This might put you off sushi for life! Girl has an 8ft tapeworm removed from her body 'after eating contaminated sashimi'

14 de junio de 2017 01:54 PM
30 0

Doctors in Taiwan have reportedly found a tapeworm measuring 2.6 metres (8ft 6in) inside a girl who loves eating sashimi, a Japanese dish made of slices of raw fish.

A family member of the eight-year-old child said she experienced itchiness in her rectum after eating the dish at a restaurant in Taipei, a doctor from the Tri-Service General Hospital told Apple Daily.

The girl is said to have recovered after surgeons removed the tapeworm from her rear and prescribed drugs to her.

Wang Zhijian, a paediatrician from the hospital, told Apple Daily that the unnamed girl had contracted a type of tapeworm called diphyllobothrium latum.

The diphyllobothrium latum is the largest human tapeworm and is also known as fish or broad tapeworm, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

It could be contracted by the consumption of raw, contaminated pork, beef or fish.

The eight-year-old girl loves sushi, especially sashimi. She is said to have eaten the raw fish dish at a restaurant before falling ill (file photo)

After the girl's family told the doctors that she loved eating sushi, especially sashimi, the doctors said her illness could be caused by contaminated raw fish.

He Shengyuan, a doctor in charge of mass education at the hospital, said the tapeworm was estimated to have lived inside the young patient for more than a month.

Dr He said the tapeworm was alive and moving in the girl's rectum when the doctor removed it. The date of the surgery has not been revealed.

Fuente: dailymail.co.uk

Compartir en las redes sociales:

Comentarios - 0